Cooking in your MEC clay pots & pans is an easy & natural process. Lara, a nutritionist in New York city, had this to say after using the pots for the 1st time: “I just finished cooking with your pot for the first time. It was fantastic. I am not someone who is good in the kitchen, but your directions are very clear, and the process felt very natural….”
MEC pots are made using the best skill + technology available today. They are sturdy, well built, strong cooking pots & pans made with you -- the cook in mind. With proper use & care they can last a life time or more!
COOKING WITH MEC
By following these few simple steps you can have a pot that lasts for a long time, cooking very nutritious and delicious food for you:
1. Season the pot/ pan before 1st use (read seasoning instructions below).
2. When cooking on stove top -- Increase heat gradually and go only up to medium: Start on low, anywhere between 1-3 (on a scale of 1-10) let it sit there for 5-7 mins and then increase to medium– setting 5 or 6.
3. In the Oven -- Recommended Max Temperature is 450 Degrees Fahrenheit. Start in a cold oven or 250 D F and increase to desired temperature within a span of 10 minutes.
4. Once pot is seasoned, use it back-to-back for a few times (4-5 times). This is what we mean when we say back-to-back: Say you use the pot today, you can store the food in it till it's finished, wash the pot, and then use it again. Repeat process 4-5 times before putting it away, if you have to. This will ensure that the pot gets 'fully seasoned'. Cooking 'wet' recipes during these first few times is recommended, wet recipes include cooking rice, any grains, soups, stews, lentils, steaming vegetables etc.
5. If you’re unable to do the above step and need to put it away sooner, just wipe the washed pot thoroughly with a cotton cloth and then dry it in the oven at 250 D F for about 10-15 minutes, before putting it away.
SEASONING YOUR POTS/PANS:
Before first use thoroughly wet & rinse the pot/pan and lid under running water for a few minutes and let it sit for 15 minutes. Wipe the bottom dry, fill the pot half full with water place it on the stove and start on low heat. Meanwhile make the following mixture in 1 cup of water:
Meanwhile make the following mixture in cup of water:
• 2 tablespoons flour (wheat, rice or arrowroot flour)*
• ½ teaspoon cooking oil (vegetable, coconut, sesame seed or olive oil)
• Optional: ½ teaspoon turmeric powder.
*If seasoning a large pot, use 1/2 cup flour to 1½ cups water; if seasoning an extra large pot, use ¾ cup flour to 2 cups water.
Stir thoroughly so it’s without lumps. Then add to the pot, stir and let it cook on stove top at medium heat, with lid on till it thickens a broth. Turn stove off and wait for it to cool down, preferably overnight. The next morning, pour broth out, rinse the pot with water and start cooking!
GOOD TO KNOW:
Cook-time: The more it’s used the faster it’ll cook your food, all on medium heat or less!
For Best Results: Use separate pot for rice/grains, one for yogurt. and all other soups, stews sautés etc can be made in one.
Wooden spoons go well with our cookware.
Can cook using little to no Oil. Most of the steam/moisture & oils in the food remain in the pot so a lot of times little to no additional oil/liquids are required. The more it’s used the more non-stick it becomes.
Avoid dry saute till pot is ‘Fully Seasoned': don’t dry sauté spices or onions. If the recipe calls for it, add onions, sauté just a few minutes then add other ingredients. Unlike in metals, in MEC pots onions don’t need to pre-saute, they get cooked well even without.
Avoid sudden & extreme changes in Temperature: Example: If taking out of the fridge, let it come to room temperature before putting it on the stove for reheating and vice-versa.
Stove top & Oven safe
To be used on Gas and Electric cook tops and in the Oven and Solar Ovens. Can also be used on slow cookers/crock machines if they fit inside with 1/2 space on all sides and if manufacturer permits the use of other inserts. While we recommend using with a heat diffuser on gas & electric cook tops, using with the diffuser is a must when cooking on electric cook tops – coil, glass & ceramic.
Let pot cool down to room temperature before putting it in the refrigerator.
When Slow Cooking
Use your pot for slow cooking or cooking for several hours once it's used at least a few times (4-5 times) cooking recipes that take less time i.e, like less than an hour of cooking. Always use a diffuser when slow cooking with your pot.
Although dishwasher safe, hand washing recommended. They’re easy to clean because of the naturally non-stick nature of MEC clay. It’s best to avoid harmful and toxic soaps. Just soak the pot in water, sprinkle baking soda and rinse off. If food is stuck to the bottom — soak in warm water, sprinkle baking soda and let it sit for 10 minutes and its easy to rinse off. For tough to clean spots, you can use a scrubber, there is no coating so no fear of scraping any harmful enamels or glazes.
Sit hot pots on pads, trivet or wooden board.
Store your pot only after it is thoroughly dry. Don’t store in damp or closed areas. Store dried pots in well ventilated areas. If living in cool places, its also a good idea to dry your pots in the oven at 250 degrees for 10-15 minutes before putting away.
And finally, we know that although it’s the most time-tested, healthiest & safest way of cooking food, 100% natural clay cookware might be a new concept to some, and we want to assure you that we are here to help with any questions you might have while getting to know and cooking in this amazingly healthy way! Email Us with any questions you might have and we’ll get back to you right away.
Happy Clay Cooking. Wishing You Great Health & Taste !