Healthy & Aromatic Yogurt Rice Recipe
Yogurt rice is famous for its calming and comforting palate, especially in summer. Because it helps in digestion, yogurt rice is sometimes served at the end of main course meals. It is quite famous in South India where it is prepared in several different iterations. Here is one simple 20 minute recipe.
Serves 4-5 People; Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- Yogurt Mixture*: Ratio of 1 cup yogurt to ½ cup water
- 2-2½ cups precooked parboiled Basmati Rice
- 1/8 tsp. Turmeric Powder
- ¼ tsp. Cumin Seeds, crushed
- 1/4 tsp. Ginger, crushed
- ½ inch Red or Green Chili, dried or fresh, finely chopped
- 5-6 Curry Leaves, torn in half (available at most Indian stores or online)
- Nuts & Seeds, optional
- Sea Salt, to taste
Prior to cooking, make the *Yogurt Mixture by mixing 1 cup Yogurt to ½ cup Water, and set aside.
- Put oil in pan 1-2 tsp
- Add Spices and Nuts and Seeds, if desired.
- Stir, cover, and cook 5 minutes.
- Add *Yogurt Mixture, stirred separately with water prior to cooking (1 cup Yogurt to 1/2 cup Water).
- Stir, add Salt, cover, and let cook 5 minutes.
- Turn stove off and add to hot, precooked rice.
Parboiled Basmati Rice works well for this recipe, but you may use another long grain rice of your choice. You may serve yogurt rice at room temperature.