Broccoli, Bell Pepper and Lentil Soup
Broccoli, bell pepper and lentils come together in an excellent comfort medley full of nutrition in this hearty and healthy soup. It goes well with a serving of steamed rice, over steamed quinoa or with rolls or unleavened bread. Broccoli and pepper are a great source of Vitamin C and antioxidants which are both good for strengthening the immune system. These ingredients along with the assortment of spices used make it both food and medicine for the body. Additionally, they contain Vitamin K which plays a role in bone and skin health. Lentils of course add the protein component making this a wholesome meal for anyone.
3 cups of Broccoli florets
2 cups of Bell Peppers, scored and cut into bite sized pieces
1 cup of Lentils, either Mung Lentils or Tour Dahl
3 cups of Water
1 tsp olive or coconut oil
½ tsp Turmeric
1 TBSP Coriander Powder
½ tsp Ground Chili Powder
2 tsp mustard seeds
2 tsp cumin seeds
1 stalk Curry leaves, optional
2 tbsp cilantro leaves, chopped
5 cloves Garlic, chopped or crushed
- Add water to your MEC Large pot. Add washed lentils to the pot, then add water. Set on Stove and start the stove on Medium-low (for gas and electric).
- Next, add Turmeric, Onion, 2 Green chilies, and Garlic, stir. Cover and let it cook for 30 minutes if using tour dal, or 20 minutes if cooking mung lentils.
- Once the lentils are cooked and soft, using a wooden spoon or a mashing utensil, gently mash the lentils against the pot so they can become a little pasty.
- Then, add coriander powder and chili powder. Stir, cover, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Then add Broccoli, stir in with the lentils. Cover and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Then add Bell Peppers and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add oil in the end and add the Cumin, optional Curry leaves and Mustard Seeds. Mix, and allow for oil to spread into the soup
- Turn off stove. And keep the pot on the stove with the lid on, for 10 minutes to “come together”. Serving suggestions: Serve over rice, steamed quinoa or with roll or unleavened bread.
Write a Comment