Seasoning: How to season MEC products
This seasoning process only needs to be done once before the first use.
- Thoroughly rinse the pot/pan and lid under running water for a few minutes and let it sit for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, make the following mixture:
- Add 1 Tbsp. flour (any one of the following: wheat, rice, arrowroot, lentil, flour, etc.) to 1 cup of water. Make it 2 Tbsp. to 1.5 cups water if seasoning the Large or X-large pot. Stir thoroughly so it’s without lumps. Using a few drops of cooking oil and a pinch of turmeric is optional.
- Now fill your pot/pan 1/4 with water, and set on stove on low for 5 minutes. Add flour mixture, stir, and increase heat to medium-low.
- Cook with lid on till it thickens to a broth (approx. 25 mins). Turn stove off and wait for it to cool. Pour broth out, then scrape out the residue. Start cooking!
- Rinse the griddle thoroughly under running water.
- Set the griddle aside and allow it to dry.
- Take 2-3. Tbsp. of oil (olive, coconut, or sesame seed oil — no animal fat) and apply with hands on the surface of the griddle (both sides).
- Set aside and set the oven to 200 degrees F.
- Put the griddle in the oven and warm it for 20-25 minutes.
- Turn the oven off; allow the griddle to cool in the oven. Your griddle is now seasoned and can be used right after!
- Rinse thoroughly and soak the bowls in water in the sink or a large bowl.
- Add 1 Tbsp. of cooking oil (olive, coconut, or sesame seed oil — no animal fat) to the water and stir and rub the oil with the water onto the bowls.
- Remove after soaking for 30-40 minutes, drip dry and wipe them down with a soft cotton towel. Let them air dry. You can start using them right after.
MEC Water Jars:
- Wet and rinse the pot out thoroughly (inside, outside, & lid).
- Fill it halfway up with water; let it rest for one day — you may want to leave a towel to collect the dripping water in the bottom.
- Pour the water out after one day, or the following morning.
- You can now fill your now-seasoned jar with fresh water. Your water will be ready for consumption in 30 minutes, or once you see droplets forming uniformly on the lower bottom of the pot (as shown in the picture below).
Detailed instructions on seasoning & use can be found here: Cooking & Care