Here are 5 healthy and delicious soup recipes for cooking in your MEC Pure Clay Pot. As you are taking all the steps needed to cook an extremely healthy and nutritious recipe, it is important to keep these things in mind:
- Avoid unhealthy canned ingredients like chicken broth as the dish will still be very flavorful when cooked in MEC pots. They cook with gentle heat that keeps the nutritional value and the natural flavor of your food intact.
- If your recipe demands, use homemade chicken broth or vegetable broth. You can always make these at home in excess and store them in glass jars for future use.
1. Minestrone Soup – Healthy, Hearty and Chock Full of Vegetables
2 tablespoons olive oil; 1 large brown onion, chopped; 5 ounces thinly sliced meat of your choice, chopped; 2 potatoes peeled, cut into 1.5 cm pieces; 2 carrots, peeled, chopped; 2 zucchini, chopped; 2 celery ribs, sliced (celery sticks); 3/4 lbs diced tomatoes; 6 cups water; 2 ounces macaroni, dried; 3/4 lbs borlotti beans, rinsed, drained; 1⁄3 cup flat leaf parsley, fresh, chopped; salt & fresh ground pepper, to taste; 1 ounce parmesan cheese, finely shredded; crusty bread to serve
(1) Heat some water in a large MEC pot over medium heat. Add the onion, and prosciutto, and cook, stirring occasionally for 7 minutes or until the onion softens and is light golden. Add the potatoes, carrots, zucchini, and celery, and cook stirring for 2 minutes.
(2) Stir in the tomatoes and stock, and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, for 7 minutes. Stir in the pasta and simmer, uncovered, for a further 12 minutes or until the pasta is al dente.
(3) Stir in the beans, parsley, salt, and pepper. Cook, uncovered, for 2-3 minutes or until the beans are heated through. Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary. Ladle the soup into MEC bowls, sprinkle with the parmesan and serve with the crusty bread.
2. Chicken Noodle Soup – Quick, Easy & Healthy
1/2 cup chopped onion; 1/2 cup chopped celery; 14.5-ounce chicken broth; 14.5-ounce vegetable broth; 1/2 pound chopped cooked chicken breast; 1 1/2 cups egg noodles; 1 cup sliced carrots; 1/2 teaspoon dried basil; 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano; salt and pepper to taste
In a large MEC pot over medium heat, add some water. Cook onion and celery in water until just tender, 7 minutes. Pour in chicken and vegetable broths and stir in chicken, noodles, carrots, basil, oregano, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes before serving.
3. Manchow Soup – Hot and Healthy
Cabbage chopped 1/4 small; Carrot chopped 1 medium; Button mushrooms 2-3; Chinese black mushrooms soaked 2-3; Green capsicum 1/2 medium; Spring onion 1; Ginger 1/2 inch piece; Garlic chopped 2-3 cloves; Bamboo shoots 2 inches; Vegetable stock 4 cups; Green chillies 2; Red chilli sauce 1/2 tablespoon; Soy sauce 2 tablespoons; Tofu 2 ounces; arrowroot/all-purpose flour 3 tablespoons; Salt to taste; Noodles 1 cup
(1) Slice spring onion. Heat water in a MEC pot. Slice button mushrooms. Add spring onions to the water in the pan along with ginger and garlic and toss.
(2) Add carrot, cabbage, and mushrooms. Chop Chinese mushrooms roughly and add to the pot.
(3) Chop bamboo shoot into small pieces. Add 4 cups stock and green chilies to the pan. Add red chili sauce and soy sauce and mix.
(4) Cut tofu into ½ inch cubes and add to the soup. Mix arrowroot/all-purpose flour with ¼ cup water and add to the soup and cook till it thickens.
(5) Add salt and mix. Chop capsicum, reserve some for garnish and add the rest to the soup and mix well. Serve the soup hot garnished with crispy noodles and capsicum.
4. Healthy & Delicious Tofu and Mushroom Soup
4 cups water (or chicken stock for non-vegetarian version); 3.5 ounces wood ear mushroom (Indonesian: jamur kuping), thinly sliced; 4 fresh shiitake mushroom, remove stems and thinly sliced; 1 carrot (Indonesian: wortel), peeled and shaved with a grater; 1 block silken tofu, about 1/2 pounds, shaved with a grater; salt; sugar; ground white pepper; corn starch solution (1 tablespoon arrowroot/allpurpose flour + 2 tablespoon water); 2 scallions (Indonesian: daun bawang), thinly sliced diagonally
(1) Bring water (or chicken stock) to a rolling boil. Add wood ear mushroom slices, shiitake mushroom slices, and shaved carrot and boil for 7-8 minutes.
(2) Add shaved silken tofu and cook for another minute.
(3) Season with salt, sugar, and ground white pepper to taste.
(4) Thicken soup with arrowroot/all-purpose flour solution. Turn off heat, add scallions, and stir to mix well. Serve immediately.
5. Potato and Leek Soup – Easy Peasy Healthy
2 carrots; 2 sticks of celery; 2 medium onions; 2 cloves of garlic; 3/4 pounds leeks; 3/4 pounds potatoes; 2 organic chicken or vegetable stock cubes
(1) Trim, peel and roughly slice the carrots and celery. Peel and roughly chop the onions. Peel and finely slice the garlic.
(2) Cut the ends off the leeks, quarter them lengthways, wash them under running water and cut them into 1cm slices.
(3) Heat some water in a large MEC pot over medium heat, add all the chopped and sliced ingredients and cook with the lid ajar for 15 minutes, or until softened, stirring regularly.
(4) Meanwhile, peel the potatoes and cut them into 1cm cubes.
(5) Put the stock cubes into a jug or pan, pour in 1 quart of boiling water and stir to dissolve, then pour into the veg pan.
(6) Add the potatoes. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes with the lid on, then remove from the heat.
(7) Season to taste with sea salt and black pepper, then either serve like this or pulse until smooth using a stick blender or liquidizer.