Delicious, Nutritious Greens In a Clay Pot
Cooking greens in your pure clay pots is a quick and easy process! The following recipe can be done with any type of greens, such as collard greens & turnip greens. Don’t limit yourself to just spinach and kale!
A helpful tip before you start: The best way to wash your greens is to soak the greens in still water for at least 5-10 minutes in a separate bowl before rinsing.
- 4-5 cups of greens of your choice, chopped & packed (i.e. kale, collard greens, spinach, broccoli)
- 1 tsp. water
- 1 tsp. oil (optional)
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- 1 dried red chili
- 2 cloves of garlic. crushed
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- Salt, to taste
- Seasoning of your choice (see seasoning suggestions)
- Set your MEC Medium Pot or MEC Large Pan on the stove at low heat. Add oil or water, then stir in onions, cumin seeds, and garlic.
- Add your greens to the pot/pan. Increase heat to medium-low, then cover and cook for 10-15 minutes.
- Add sea salt to taste as needed, as well as any seasoning (see seasoning suggestions). You can optionally top it off with a spoon of pure cooking oil.
- Turn stove off, and allow the dish to rest with the lid covered for 5-10 minutes, allowing the greens to “come together”. Serve!
Note: If you are cooking collard greens or kale, combine these greens with spinach (in a 1:2 ratio, collard greens/kale to spinach). This will help soften the tougher greens.
- Slightly crushed sesame seeds add a delicious taste .
Crushed fennel seeds could be added for their nutritional value and minty flavor.
- Freshly ground coconut adds a great tropical flavor.
- Adding 1 Tbsp. coconut oil in the end makes the dish taste refreshing.
If You Want to Add Some Protein…
Adding lentils is a great protein addition. If you are adding these to your greens, add 1/2 cup of lentils after sautéing the onions (before adding the greens). Cover and cook the lentils for 15 minutes with enough water to cover them. You can use yellow, green, or brown lentils. Then add the greens, stir in, and continue with the recipe.
Write a Comment