Delicious Marinara Sauce with Fresh Tomatoes
This hearty sauce is always a crowd pleaser! Celery and carrots are superfoods and loaded with antioxidants. When cooked in your toxin-free MEC earthen vessel these vegetables will retain their phytonutrients and draw out the flavor and juices of these miraculous vegetables. Combining fresh tomatoes and herbs along with these vegetables will create a delicious comforting, and power packed marinara sauce that will likely become a popular request in your home. Enjoy!
Serves 4 people | Cook time: 1 hour and 30 minutes
- 3 celery stalks, rinsed and chopped finely by hand or food processor
- 3 carrots, rinsed and chopped finely by hand or food processor
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed or finely chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped finely
- 10 fresh roma or san marzano tomatoes rinsed, peeled, seeded, and chopped or blended in food processor
- Palmful of fresh basil rinsed and chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 1 lb. of dried pasta
- Add onion and garlic to your large MEC pot. Add in salt and pepper to taste. Cover lid. Turn stove on low. Let it cook for 8 minutes or until softened.
- Next, add celery and carrots. Add salt and pepper to taste. Cover lid. Then cook for another 8 minutes or until softened.
- Now add your tomatoes. Stir. Add the bay leaf, basil and salt and pepper to taste. Stir again. Cover lid. Increase heat to medium low. When sauce starts to bubble, reduce heat back to low and simmer for 10 mins.
- Add your dried pasta, cover, and cook for 5-7 mins. Check if the pasta has softened and flexible, then, stir ingredients around to prevent pasta from sticking to each other. Lower heat and cook for 5 more minutes or until Al dente. Turn stoves off. Remove from heat and drain.
- Add some more fresh basil. Plate and serve.
Contributed by: Meghan Gaudet