Rice with lentils, vegetables and spices (AKA Khichari in some parts of the world) – A quick & easy one pot wholesome meal
This soothing combination of rice, lentils and vegetables seasoned with spices is a one-pot wholesome meal you can enjoy any time of the day.
While rice is rich in simple and complex carbs, when cooked in MEC, the complex carbs are preserved which is good for maintaining healthy sugar levels. Lentils are an excellent source of B vitamins, iron, magnesium, potassium and zinc. They’re also a great source of plant-based protein and fiber. The consortium of vegetables used is rich in many nutrients, including potassium, dietary fiber, folate (folic acid), vitamin A, and vitamin C.
Serves: 4-6 | Prep Time: 10 mins | Cook Time: 20-30 mins
Here are the ingredients:
- 1 cup split yellow mung beans
- 2 cups basmati or long grain parboiled rice
- 2 tbsp pure oil (sesame seed oil, coconut oil, olive oil etc.)
- 4.5 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 4.5 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 4.5 teaspoons coriander powder
- 3 tablespoon ginger roots freshly minced
- a pinch of asafetida
- 1 medium sized onion
- 2 green chilies – slit
- 4 cups any mixed vegetables (carrots, string beans, green peas, potatoes)
How to Cook Khichari (rice with lentils, vegetables and spices):
- Start stove on low, add oil, cumin seeds, chopped onions, crushed onions, fennel seeds, asafetida, and the 2 green chilies, coriander powder. Stir to combine, cover, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Then increase heat to medium, add chopped vegetables, stir, ¼ cup of water. Cover and cook for another 5-10 mins.
- Add washed rice and moong beans. Add salt to taste, stir all ingredients together for a moment then add 5 cups of water stir again. Cover, lower heat to medium low and cook till done.
You can serve your delicious & nutritious wholesome meal with fresh coriander leaves – chopped and folded through, pickle, yogurt and veg salad.