Rice with Lentils, Vegetables, and Spices (AKA Khichari) – A Quick & Easy One-Pot Wholesome Meal
This soothing combination of rice, lentils, and vegetables seasoned with spices is a one-pot wholesome meal you can enjoy any time of the day.
With rice being rich in simple and complex carbs, when cooked in MEC, complex carbs are preserved – this is great for maintaining healthy sugar levels. Lentils are an excellent source of B vitamins, iron, magnesium, potassium, and zinc. They are also a great source of plant-based protein and fiber. The consortium of vegetables used is rich in many nutrients, including potassium, dietary fiber, folate (folic acid), vitamin A, and vitamin C.
Serves: 4-6 People | Prep Time: 10 minutes | Cook Time: 20-30 minutes
- 1 cup split yellow mung beans
- 2 cups basmati or long grain parboiled rice
- 2 Tbsp. pure oil (sesame seed oil, coconut oil, olive oil etc.)
- 4 1/2 tsp. cumin seeds
- 4 1/2 tsp. fennel seeds
- 4 1/2 tsp. coriander powder
- 3 Tbsp. ginger roots freshly minced
- Pinch of asafetida
- 1 medium sized onion
- 2 green chilies, slit
- 4 cups any mixed vegetables (carrots, string beans, green peas, potatoes)
- Start stove on low. Add oil, cumin seeds, chopped onions, crushed ginger, fennel seeds, asafetida, green chilies, and coriander powder. Stir to combine, cover, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Next, increase heat to medium and add chopped vegetables. Stir and add ¼ cup of water. Cover and cook for another 5-10 minutes.
- Add washed rice and mung beans. Add salt to taste, stir all ingredients together for a moment, then add 5 cups of water. Stir again. Cover, lower heat to medium low, and cook until done.
You can serve your delicious & nutritious wholesome meal with fresh coriander leaves – chopped and folded through, pickle, yogurt, and veggie salad.
Write a Comment