Roasting a Whole Chicken in MEC
Yes, you can cook an entire chicken in a MEC pot! Traditional recipes use margarine, which is an artery blocker among other things. MEC requires none of that – all it needs is water & some light spice seasoning for a tender and delicious roast to serve at your dinner table.
Serves: 2-8 People (Depending on the Chicken Size) | Recipe Time: 1 & 1/2 hours to 2 hours
- Whole chicken (5 lbs., or size of your choice)
- 1 Tbsp. pure cooking oil
- 1 cup each of 2 to 3 vegetables of your choice, chopped to bite size pieces (For example: carrots, peas, and celery; carrots, onions, and peas; etc.)
You can season your chicken with any of the following all-natural spice combinations:
Asian Tandoor Flavor — Combine the following spices with 2 Tbsp. of water: 1 tsp. of turmeric | 1 tsp. of red chili powder | 1 Tbsp. of crushed ginger | 1 Tbsp. of crushed garlic| 1 tsp. sea salt | 1 tsp. garam masala (ground cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, anise seeds)
Mexican Flavor — Combine the following with 1/2 cup olive oil: 1 lime, juice | 5 cloves garlic, minced | 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped | 2 tsp. chili powder | 1 tsp. cumin | 1 tsp. salt | 1/2 tsp. pepper
Greek Flavor — Combine the following with 1/2 cup olive oil: 1/3 cup lemon juice | 5 cloves garlic, minced | 1 Tbsp. dried oregano | 1 tsp. salt | 1 tsp. pepper
All-American Flavor — Combine the following with 1 Tbsp. oil: 2 Tbsp. sugar | 1 Tbsp. garlic, crushed | 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper | 1/3 cup paprika | 1 Tbsp. black pepper, freshly ground. | In addition to these spices, you will find a traditional recipe call for Onion salt and/or Celery salt, instead of these high sodium chemically processed and preserved ingredients, place freshly sliced Onions and chopped Celery at the bottom of the pot, then place chicken over it. Flavor does not depreciate when cooking in MEC so flavoring from the vegetables will permeate and enrich the chicken better than using onion and celery salt, etc.
Note: Typically, you would need to marinate your chicken for 5-6 hours. However, when cooking in MEC, marinating is optional, and you can marinate your chicken for just 30 minutes while yielding even better results in flavor compared to 6 hours of marinating! The heat from MEC is pure and food-friendly – this helps carry spices and seasoning deep into the ingredients.
- Season your chicken using one of the options above (or your own seasoning combination!) and rub onto the chicken, then set aside for 30 minutes.
- Add 1 Tbsp. of oil and 1 Tbsp. of water to your MEC pot, then place all the vegetables in the pot, then place the chicken on top of the vegetables.
- See the applicable instructions for cooking your chicken:
- For stovetop:
- Cook on stovetop for 1 hour on low heat.
- In the Oven:
- Place pot in a cold oven and set oven to 350 degrees F. Cover and cook until done – may take approximately 1.5 hours.
4. Turn oven/stove off and allow chicken to rest for 30-40 minutes before serving.
Write a Comment