Seasonal Healthy Pumpkin Soup
This recipe is perfect for the late summer and fall season, with a blend of organic pumpkin, garlic and some freshly ground pepper. Typically, this recipe calls for adding chicken broth or stock to make up for the loss of flavor when this recipe is made in a traditional (metal or ceramic) pot. There is no need for those additions in MEC: nutrients are not lost and broth is naturally created with MEC’s steam retention capabilities!
Pumpkin is one of the best sources of beta carotine, a powerful antioxidant. Additionally, pumpkin is a good source of Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, and iron. A great fruit to serve at a great time!
Serves 3-4 People | Prep Time: 10 minutes, Cook Time: 35 minutes
- 1 pumpkin, weighing about 2 1/2 lbs.
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 cups water
- Sea salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- Cut pumpkin into slices (approx. 3.25 inches each). Peel skin off pumpkin and scrape seeds out. Cut slices down to 1.5 inch chunks.
- Add water, pumpkin, onion, and garlic to pot. Set pot on stove and set heat to medium-low. Stir, cover, and cook until pumpkin is tender (check with spoon or knife).
- Turn heat down to low. Stir and blend pumpkin and other ingredients until smooth. Add salt and pepper, to taste. Add whole milk and stir into soup. Simmer soup with lid partially uncovered to thicken it.
- If desired, top off soup with pepper or parsley, and serve with bread!