Fresh Vegetable Soup With Cilantro
Tis the season for soups and stews! This vegan soup is chock-full of fresh vegetables and flavor and turns out tasting much better in MEC clay pots. The added spices give it a satisfying taste and aroma that will be hard to forget!
This soup is created without any processed broth added to it, making it an overall healthier dish. Vegetables are cooked without losing their important nutrients, packing the soup dish full of great nutritional value for the body.
Serves 3-6 People | Cook Time: 30 Minutes
- 4 cups of your choice of four vegetables, chopped (i.e. potatoes, cauliflower, peas, string beans, carrots)
- 1-2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 cardamom pods
- 1/2 tsp. cumin powder
- 1 tsp. coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 cup cilantro
- 1-2 Tbsp. pure cooking oil
- 10-12 cashew nuts
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 inch ginger, peeled and crushed
- Using a food processor, create a paste by combining cumin seeds and cashew nuts.
- Finely mince ginger and garlic into a separate garlic-ginger paste.
- Start with adding 1 tsp. water and 1 tsp. oil to a large MEC pot; then set on the stove. Start at low temperature, then increase slowly to medium-low heat for gas, medium heat for electric. Add chopped onions, bay leaf, cinnamon stick, and cardamom pods. Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic & ginger paste. Stir, cover, and cook for 5 more minutes. Then add cashew nut & cumin seed paste and stir into pot.
- Add in your main vegetables, in order of cook time. Start with adding slower-cooking vegetables, cover and cook for 7-10 minutes, then add in faster-cooking vegetables. For example, if you choose potatoes, carrots, cauliflower and spinach: add potatoes and carrots first (slower cooking), let them cook for 7-10 minutes, then add cauliflower and spinach (faster cooking).
- Add your powders: cumin powder, coriander powder, and chili powder. Stir powders in, then add 2 cups of water. Cover and cook for 10 more minutes.
- Stir in 1 Tbsp. oil, and garnish soup with cilantro. Allow the soup to “come together”. Serve!
Write a Comment