Mixed Vegetables Simmered in Coconut Gravy
This medley of select vegetables provides an excellent boost of vitamins and minerals to the body, along with the antioxidants and trace minerals provided by the spices. Manganese, selenium, copper, and iron are but a few of the essential nutrients the freshly made coconut milk adds to the dish! It takes the phrase “delicious while being nutritious” to the next level. Enjoyed with Rice, couscous, unleavened bread or bread.
Serves 3-5 People | Duration: 35-40 mins
Coconut Milk (Homemade Instructions):
- If using dried coconut, use half a coconut. Wash and soak in 2 cups of water for 30 minutes, then blend in mixer with the same water. (I usually soak it the previous night whenever I know I am going to be making anything with coconut the next day). If making with fresh coconut, slice half a coconut into smaller pieces, then add to blender. Add water and blend until a coarse liquid is formed. After blending in 2 cups of water, add one more cup of water and set it aside.
- Adding 1 Tbsp. of cashew nuts is optional. You can add the cashew nuts to the coconut before blending. Adding cashew nuts yields a silky and thicker gravy.
- 2 cups carrots, washed and chopped to bite size
- 2 cups string beans, washed and chopped to bite size
- 2 cups potatoes, washed and chopped to bite size
- 1 cup fresh peas, washed
- 1 cup cauliflower, washed and chopped to bite size
- 2 medium-sized onion, chopped finely
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped finely
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro leaves
- 2 tsp. fennel seeds
- 2 tsp. cumin seeds
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 2-star anise
- 2 tsp. coriander powder
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 5 cloves
- 4 cardamom pods, crushed
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 garlic cloves and ½ inch ginger skin, peeled and crushed together in mortar and pestle
- ½ tsp. turmeric
- Oil (use either sesame seed or coconut oil)
- Add 2 tsp of oil, cloves, crushed cardamom pods, cinnamon stick and star anise to a well-seasoned MEC Large pot (4 qt) and place on stove. Start stove on low. Cover and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Raise heat to medium. Add chopped onions, ginger & garlic paste, chillies, red chili powder, and the rest of the spices and spice powders. Mix with a wooden spoon, cover, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add chopped tomatoes. Stir and cook until it becomes a paste (5 mins).
- Then add all the vegetables, fold in with the spice paste in the pot, sprinkle ¼ cup of water, stir, cover, and cook until veggies are half done (10 mins).
- Add coconut milk, salt to your liking, 1-2 cups of water (depending on how thick or thin you want the gravy), 1 tsp. of sesame seed oil, stir, reduce heat to medium low, and cook until vegetables are done.
- Turn stove off. Garnish with chopped cilantro leaves. Cover and let pot simmer for a few more minutes in the heat within the pot, before serving.