Nutritionally Dense Chickpea Soup with Pasta & Vegetables
This soup is a perfect nutritional boost for anytime, but especially during this time of seasonal change — great for welcoming spring, and the “colds” that sometimes come with it. Full of vegetables with vitamins, pasta as a grain choice, and chickpeas for protein, this soup covers all you need for a wholesome & healthy meal.
Serves: 5-7 People | Cook Time: 65-75 Minutes
- 1 cup chickpeas
- 1 medium onion
- 1-2 cups carrots, chopped to bite size
- 1-2 cups broccoli, chopped to bite size
- 2 cups bell peppers of 2 different colors
- 1 cup mushrooms
- 1 cup snow peas
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- ½ tsp. Fresh cumin, crushed
- 5 garlic cloves, crushed or finely chopped
- 2 tsp. dried chili flakes
- 2 cups dried pasta
- Salt, to taste
- 2 Tbsp. pure coconut cooking oil
- Add 3 cups of water and chickpeas to your MEC large pot. Cover lid. Start heat on low, then increase heat to medium-low after 5 minutes. Cook chickpeas for an additional 35 minutes if chickpeas are pre-soaked, 45 minutes if not pre-soaked. Soaking chickpeas in water for an hour before cooking is optional and can reduce cook time by 5-10 minutes.
- Next, add your chopped vegetables (onion, carrots, broccoli, bell peppers, mushrooms, & snow peas), then add the spices (turmeric, cumin, garlic, & dried chili flakes). Stir all spices into the pot with the veggies. Cover and cook for 10 minutes on the same heat setting.
- Then add the pasta with 3 cups of water. Stir, then add salt, to taste. Cover and cook for 15 minutes on low. Check the pasta for softness and the chickpeas for doneness.
- Turn the stove off. Add pure coconut cooking oil. Let the pot rest with the lid on for 10 minutes to allow the ingredients to “come together”. Serve & enjoy!
Write a Comment