Spinach with Potatoes
Recently we’ve been answering questions regarding cooking spinach recipes in your clay pots. Here’s a recipe we’d like to share with everyone — completely wholesome and delicious! One great advantage of cooking this in your clay pot is that, the complete recipe can be done in one pot. While when cooking with metals you might have to use at least 2-3 different pots and pan because of the harsh heat that quickly burns the food, each stage of the cooking needs to be done separately. Here’s how to cook your Spinach with potatoes in MEC.
- 4 LBS fresh spinach
- 5 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 2 inch fresh ginger finely chopped
- 3 medium size onions chopped
- 2-3 small green chllies, chopped with seeds
- 6 medium sized potatoes, washed peeled and cubed
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 4 tsp cooking oil (we recommend pure & non-modified oils like coconut, sesame seed oil, Olive etc.)
- 3 tsp cumin seed powder
- 1 tsp Garam Masala (is a spice mix made from cinnamon, cardamom and cloves, it also may include star anise — all good stuff put together and ground together to a dry brownish color powder)
- 1 tsp ground coriander powder
- 1-2 tsp salt or as needed
- Set your MEC pure clay pot on the stove, start stove on low (setting 3, on a scale of 1-10) add oil to the pot, close lid and give it a few minutes (2-3 minutes) for the oil to get hot.
- * Now increase heat to medium (setting 5-6). Add the onions to the pot, sauté for a few minutes, close lid and let it cook. Add ginger + garlic and green chilies after five minutes and sauté them in the pot. Close lid and let all these ingredients cook till you see steam building up on the inside (in about 5 minutes).
- * Now add the turmeric powder, mix it in with the ingredients in the pot and then add and mix in the potatoes.
- * Close lid and let the potatoes cook till almost done (this may take about 10-12 minutes; you should be able to insert a fork into the chunk of potato without having to use a lot of force).
- * In the mean time you can coarsely pulse or grind the washed and cleaned spinach leaves and set it aside.
- * Now add the cumin + coriander seed powder and mix them in with the potatoes. Then add the spinach to the pot and fold it in with the potatoes.
- * Add the garam masala powder, stir in and Cook for another 5-10 minutes till spinach is fully cooked and all the flavors are cooked and have come together.
- * If you see a lot of water in the pot, open the lid and let some of the steam go out and thicken the recipe.
- * Your Potatoes with spinach recipe is done, it’s a good idea to wait for 15-20 minutes before serving. Serve it all by itself or with bread/flat bread or rice as an accompaniment.