Lentil and Vegetable Soup – The King of Healthy Soups!
Because of the choice of ingredients– a healthy assortment of vegetables and lentils, as well as choice spices like cumin, turmeric, and coriander powder– this soup can be considered the King of Healthy Soups! It’s key or base ingredient, the lentils with their distinctly delicious nutty flavor leave the eater full and satisfied. Cooking it in your pure clay pot brings out all the great subtle flavors and nutrients, making it a great hit for any occasion or everyday cooking!
Conventionally, this recipe may require up to 3 different cooking pots, but when making in your clay pot all you need is just this one pot! Because of its highly nutritional value, it is a staple in many parts of the world and can be served all by itself or with a variety of sides including rice, flat bread, other breads & grains, and so on.
Serves: 4-7 People | Cook Time: ~55 minutes
- 3-4 cups vegetables of your choice (i.e. carrots, beans, potatoes, & peas)
- 1 cup toor dal or split yellow lentils
- 2 tsp. pure cooking oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, whole
- 1 cup spinach, chopped
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric
- 2 red or green chilies
- 1 tsp. salt
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 Tbsp. coriander powder
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tsp. cumin, ground
- 4 cups water
- In your large MEC pot, add 4 cups of water and 1 cup of lentils. Set your pot on the stove and cover lid. Start on low, then increase heat after 5-10 minutes to medium-low for gas, medium for electric. Cook lentils for 15 minutes.
- Add chopped onions, turmeric, chilies, and garlic cloves. Stir, and let the lentils cook for another 15-20 minutes on medium-low (for both stoves).
- Reduce heat to low and open lid. When steam has settled, stir the lentils thoroughly and gently smash the lentils against the wall of the pot with your wooden spoon. This is done in order to make the lentils into a semi-paste for the base of the soup. Add all your vegetables (including spinach), cover, and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add all remaining spices (cumin, red pepper flakes, coriander powder). Stir, cover, and cook for 5-7 more minutes.
- Open lid, add 2 tsp. of pure cooking oil (optional). Garnish with chopped cilantro, and add salt and pepper, to taste. Cover the lid and turn the stove off. Let the recipe come together for a few minutes.
Serve over rice, bread, or other grains — goes well with most sides!